Week 1 :
Tuesday, August 28
Introductions, Materials list, Course outline and rules.
- Go and pick up all the supplies on the materials list. If you go to Blick on Santa Monica Blvd. tell them you are in my class. They have all the materials collected for you and will give you a 25% discount (should be around $37). They are all very common supplies so you can buy them at any other art supply store too.
- I will be posting links and information here each week to summarize and supplement what we talk about in class.
- Most people in our class come from countries where English is not the primary language. Make sure to tell me if you do not understand something I say. Also sit next to people who speak your native language so you can help each other.
8" x 10" piece of glass. This is the one thing on the materials list that might be difficult to find. If you can't find them at an art supply store (in the framing section most likely) you should be able to get them at a framing store. It is important that you get a piece of glass that is exactly 8 inches by 10 inches. Come talk to me if you aren't able to find this.
Thursday, August 30
Bring all your materials to class and be ready to start drawing.
- Drawing is a skill that can be developed by any average human being.
- Learning to draw requires that we learn how to supress our strong tendancy to rely on our intellectual and symbolic understanding of the world. Many of the projects we do in this class will help you learn to rely on visual perception instead of intellectual understanding while you are drawing.
- There are 5 areas of visual perception that we will discuss in class: 1. Perception of edges 2. Perception of space 3. Perception of Relationships 4. Perception of Light and Dark ("value") 4. Perception of Gestalt.
- HOMEWORK: Cut out two view finders from your black construction paper as described below.
- HOMEWORK: Draw a self portrait using a mirror on a 8.5" x 11" piece of bond paper. Bring it to class along with your other two drawings on Tuesday.
- HOMEWORK: Make sure you have all your supplies with you on Tuesday.
Download a PDF of the view finder instructions HERE.