Week 4 :
Tuesday, September 18
BRING A #2 XACTO KNIFE WITH YOU TO CLASS. Everyone will need their own - no sharing.
If you do not bring your own Xacto knife to class I will subtract 25 points from your next project grade. Email me if you have problems finding or buying one.
- Today we continued our discussion about the perception of space - specifically negative space.
- Using our image plane and small view finder, we went outside and found examples of interesting negative space.
- We composed the negative space in our view finder in an interesting way and traced it using an Expo marker.
- Then we transferred the negative space drawing to a piece of bond paper and used a pencil to solidify our the negative shapes in our composition (many people got confused and added lines from the "positive" space of the object they were drawing around).
- Once we had identified all our negative shapes we transfered the drawing to our drawing pad and cut the negative shapes out of the paper using an Xacto knife. To avoid damaging the rest of the paper in our drawing pad, we put a stack of bond paper under the area we were cutting.
- Finally we took a piece of brown paper and put it behind our cut-out composition so we could see the holes of our composition more clearly.
- We did two different cut-out negative space drawings in our drawing pad in class.
課程概要: (Translated by Hannah)
- 當我們都肯定了所有的負空間形狀，就把它轉移到畫簿上，然後用xacto knife把負空間形狀都割出 來。別忘了在切割範圉下墊著一些白紙，以免割到了其他的畫紙。
Take a look at the following video. The drawing technique isn't particularly good, but it is a good example of negative space drawing. Their still-life setup has a lot of interesting negative space which helps.
Thursday, September 20
Continuation of Edges and Space. Bring all your drawing supplies.
- We did a drawing of our shoes.
- Using the view finder and pictures plane we first found a composition that had interesting negative shapes.
- After drawing the negative shapes on our picture plane we filled in all the contour lines of the shoes on the picture plane.
- Finally we transferred the drawing on the picture plane to our drawing pad, which was prepared with a graphite layer and the horizontal and vertical lines.
- PRINCIPLE: when you compose a drawing it is important to consider the negative shapes that surround whatever object we are drawing. Interesting negative shapes are an important part of a successful drawing.
案由 (Translated by Google Translate)