Week 9 :
Tuesday, October 23
Continuation of Discussion about perception of light and dark.
- The fourth kind perception that we need to discuss is the perception of light and dark. Light and dark contrast is often reffered to as "value" contrast. When we refer to somethings value, we are referring to how light or dark it is.
- Perception of value (light and dark) is how we percieve space and form. If there is no light or if everything is equally lit from all angles, we won't see space or form.
- If we are able to see and draw values accurately we will be able to create an accurate illusion of objects in space.
- We spent the majority of class today working in pairs to grid and enlarge a black and white portrait. This exercise is meant to emphasize the importance of seeing and translating proportions when we enlarge an image. It will also help us to simplify what we are seeing into three distinct values. This helps us to see larger shapes created by areas of similar value. We can site these shapes and use them to see proportions and relationships.
Oct 23 (Translated by Google Translate)
Thursday, October 25
Continuation of large portrait drawings in groups.
- To draw things that appear 3 dimensional we need to practice perceiving and drawing light and dark (value).
- "Light Logic" means having consistent light and shadow relationships throughout a drawing. For example if the lighting on the nose contradicts the lighting on the hair - then the image will not make sense and will feel flat.
- Creating light logic in our drawing by blocking in general value relationships is more important (and more difficult) than drawing accurate details. Without light logic as a foundation we will not be able to achieve a convincing illusion of form and space.
- HOMEWORK: Finish your portraits and the copy of the drawing I handed out in class last week. It was due today but we didn't have time to talk about is so you have another weekend.
- HOMEWORK: Bring $20 with you to class on Tuesday to pay for additional supplies.
Oct 25 (Translated by Google Translate)
- “光邏輯”是指整個繪圖具有一致的光線和陰影的關係。例如，如果在鼻子上的燈光照明矛盾在頭髮上 - 然後將圖像不會使感和手感平平。
Find more information about Light Logic HERE.